Proposal Writing Boot Camp
Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:00 am
Sep 29, 2017
4:00 pm PT
In-person | San Francisco, CA
This event is no longer available.
is three-day immersion course focuses on the essential knowledge and skills fundraisers need to become effective proposal writers: using a program/project logic model to craft the proposal narrative, researching foundation funding sources, planning your approach to institutional grantmakers, understanding the components of a project budget, and writing sections of the proposal and letter of inquiry.
Attendees will become familiar with the key components of a competitive grant proposal to a foundation and learn best practices for developing a well-organized budget and a targeted list of foundation funding prospects. The three days include a variety of individual writing time, small group discussions and large group lecture. Activities include peer review and creating sample documents and budgets. Participants will be encouraged to approach their proposal from the funder’s perspective and to think critically about what makes a compelling pitch.
- What grantmakers look for and how they approach the proposal review process
- The elements of a proposal, letter of inquiry, online applications, and how to frame your application
- Crafting a budget that conveys an accurate picture of your project’s needs and value
- How to analyze and evaluate prospects using Foundation Directory Online Professional to determine a potential fit
- Develop a project/program logic model to get you started with a strong proposal narrative
- Practice writing selected components of the proposal
- Review a variety of proposal budget formats
- Research potential funding partners using Foundation Directory Online Professional
- Comprehensive workbooks
- Online access to course worksheets
- 2 weeks of complimentary access to Foundation Directory Online Professional
- Understand the proposal’s and/or letter of inquiry’s role in the fundraising process and why it is important
- Be prepared to target and approach institutional grantmakers
- Gain the knowledge and confidence to write effective proposals
- Understand how to use budgeting tools and formats to meet funders’ requirements
- Individuals who have some fundraising experience and want to hone their foundation proposal writing skills
- Individuals who want to begin a career as a grant writer and have a specific project in mind
- Consultants who want to expand their services to include proposal development
Class preparation: A project outline will be sent to registrants prior to attending the class so they can come prepared with information about their projects. A case study will be included for individuals who are not currently working on a specific project.
Ganga Dharmappa Kate Amanna Demcsak |
Community Outreach Manager New York City Lead