Transformative Major Gift Fundraising
Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:30 am
In-person | New York, NY
This event is no longer available.
Individual giving remains the largest share of charitable giving, comprising 72% of nonprofit support, according to Giving USA’s 2017 report. Among individual donors, major donors continue to be a driving force for nonprofits’ sustainability, providing windfalls of funds in supporting organizations’ infrastructure and impact.
Is your organization where it needs to be in terms of cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding gifts from major donors? If not, this full-day intensive workshop will supply your organization with the knowledge, confidence, and resources necessary to develop a stronger pipeline of major gifts.
At the end of this training day, each participant will:
- Have powerful strategies in hand to close major gifts from individual donors;
- Be ready to return to their offices knowing the next step plans for five top prospects;
- Know how to organize their major gift work for success using a major gift toolkit;
- Be comfortable making phone calls and sending emails to secure a major gift meeting;
- Know what to say and when in each major gift meeting;
- Create a map for 12 months of major gift fundraising.
Note that this workshop is not introductory! If you have some experience with major gifts, but need guidance on taking your efforts to new heights, then this intermediate-level class will be right for you. After registration, you will be asked to gather a few specific tools in advance of the session in order to prepare for the coursework ahead.The day will be set up to allow time for several different training settings:
- Presentation to the whole group by the trainer;
- Small group brainstorming and role play;
- 1-1 strategy development with fellow participants;
- Solo planning and writing.
After a 15 year career working at five universities and a handful of huge capital campaigns (millions and millions and billions!), Peter Heller left his day job at Columbia University 13 years ago to form the Heller Fundraising Group. His company provides consulting and training services to nonprofits in NYC and throughout the Northeast focusing on capital campaigns, feasibility studies and building major gift programs. Peter has personally trained scores of nonprofit professionals in major gift fundraising and has recently conducted training programs for Amnesty International USA, the New Israel Fund, AFP Westchester, The Foundation Center, The Bridgespan CFO Network, and others.
About the Association of Nonprofit Specialists:
The Association of Nonprofit Specialists is a 501(c)(3) network of organizations, consultants, and other specialists providing assistance to nonprofits. The Association of Nonprofit Specialists provides a variety of educational and networking events and other resources to support nonprofit organizations, and the consultants and specialists who work with them.
Limited to 25 participants. Eligible for 6 CFRE credits.
Prerequisites for attendance:
- 10 or more individual potential donors capable of making a gift of at least $5,000. You must know where and how to reach these people to secure meetings; fantasy lists not accepted.
- Time in your schedule to get organized and schedule meetings AND leave the office to hold at least 3 donor meetings each month.