Special Projects Associate (Short-term, Part-time)
Foundation Center is seeking an enthusiastic and creative team member with exceptional writing & editing skills, communications and social media acumen, and a passion for the social sector.
Established in 1956, Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Foundation Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level. Thousands of people visit Foundation Center's website each day and are served in its five regional hubs and its network of more than 400 funding information centers located in public libraries, community foundations, and educational institutions nationwide and around the world.
POSITION: Special Projects Associate (Short-term, Part-time)
Director, Transparency Initiatives
15 hours per week, Monday through Friday (Flexible) between the hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm
As a member of the Glasspockets team, the Special Projects Associate is responsible for helping to create and promote Glasspockets’ content and blog coverage of transparency and accountability in the philanthropic sector. Working closely with the director of transparency initiatives, his/her responsibilities include canvassing a range of foundation web sites and media outlets for news of interest to Glasspockets audiences; writing and formatting blog posts; crafting and coordinating relevant messaging via social media feeds, and working with other members of the Glasspockets team to enhance and update the Glasspockets web site. As a member of the Knowledge Services team, the Special Projects Associate is also responsible for assisting the team with promotion of Knowledge Services, and other special projects as assigned.
- Search foundation and Glasspockets partner web sites, national and regional media outlets, business and industry publications, news wire services, blog and Twitter feeds, and other online sources for philanthropy-related news about foundation transparency and accountability;
- Regularly write, recruit, and publish blog posts for Transparency Talk;
- Assist in recruitment of foundation leaders, Glasspockets partners, and philanthropy advisors as guest bloggers;
- Drive traffic to Glasspockets web site and blog by developing promotional content for Twitter and social media feeds, drafting and scheduling tweets on Hootsuite
- Adapt Tweets for use in other social media platforms, coordinating with SocNet for pushing out via the Center’s broader social media feeds
- Create graphics to accompany social media and blog posts (Canva)
- Generate analytics reports assessing effectiveness of Glasspockets and Twitter content and use this data to inform content development
- Help to create and deploy online user surveys to assess audience needs;
- Assist with the development of presentations and materials designed to promote Glasspockets, transparency initiatives, and Knowledge Services;
- Format abstracts and other content for Web presentation;
- Update existing content on Web site and contribute suggestions for adding new features;
- Quality control Glasspockets website identifying broken links, and data that needs refreshing or updating;
- Work on special projects and perform other duties, as needed.
BA/BS degree. First-rate writing, editing, and proofreading skills a must; familiarity with Microsoft Office applications, Typepad, Twitter, and Hootsuite. Knowledge of HTML and Web publishing technologies preferred. Must be a dedicated self-starter, a proven multi-tasker, and a team player. The ideal candidate will have one-three years of experience in social media content development or as a journalist covering the nonprofit sector or in a comparable communications, operations, or advising role for foundations.